All you need to know about VISA

The relocation to the Netherlands is easy if you are well documented. 

Here are a few things you need to know about your VISA.

Who needs a VISA?

Well, depending on the country you are coming from, you might require a different type of VISA when you want to relocate to the Netherlands.


EU citizens do not require a VISA to work in the Netherlands. They are only required to get a citizen service number (BSN) and a residence.

Non-EU citizens will require a work VISA as well as a residence permit.


EU citizens do not require any type of VISA to visit the Netherlands

Non-EU citizens may require a VISA, depending on the country.

What type of VISA do I need?

Non-EU citizens will need to apply for a long-term visa (residence permit) and a work VISA. This a requirement to work in the Netherlands for a longer period of time.

Depending on the Country you are from, you will receive a VISA from 30-90 days.

Usually the employer provides this permit as well as the work visa.

How long is this process?

If the company sponsors your VISA, this process can be done prior to arrival. The employer will file up the residents permit in order to complete the work permit upon arrival. 

This process usually takes from one month up to two months.

Highly Skilled Migrant VISA

This VISA applies to tech professionals of a specific age or income. This VISA was issued in order to fasten the process when you apply for a work permit.

These are the requirements for highly skilled migrant visa:

  • Age 30 or above: €4,500 gross per month excluding holiday allowance
  • Under 30: €3,299 gross per month excluding holiday allowance
What’s next?

After you have been hired by a company in the Netherlands, you need to obtain the following:

  •  Registration with the municipal administration
  • A citizen service number (BSN)
  • A residence permit