What about my taxes?

Be sure to check these websites to see and understand how you will be taxed based on your income

Here is an example of VAT and taxation in the Netherlands:


A low tariff of 9% applies to sales of common products (food, medicine, books, agriculture, etc.)


A high tariff/ standard tariff of 21% is applied to other taxable activities.

For a non-EU citizen, when you move to the Netherlands and have obtained your work and residence permit, you will also receive your Citizen Service Number (BSN). You will use this number to fill in your tax files, receive social security and tax return.

To ensure a great start in your new Netherlands life, the Dutch government has issued a taxation law for your benefit. This applies to EU and Non-EU citizens.

This taxation law is called 30% ruling. And it represent a reimbursement for your costs when you move to work in the Netherlands.

Your employer will apply for a 30% ruling with the Dutch government. If the government decides that it can be applied, then your employer is allowed to pay you 30% of your annual income, tax-free.

Some requirements to be eligible for 30% ruling:

  • The employee works for an employer that is registered with the Dutch tax office and pays payroll tax;
  • The employee did not reside within 150km from the Dutch border for the last 18 out of 24 months at the time of hiring;
  • Employer and employee have to agree in writing that the 30% ruling is applicable;
  • The employee’s annual salary should be min €38,347. However for people under 30 years or with a Master’s degree the minimum is €29,149